Friday, June 18, 2010

The Peacock Project

When I was a little girl visiting my grandparents in Berlin, my mother would take me to Pfaueninsel (Peacock Island) to visit the little palace Friedrich Wilhelm II had built as a love nest for himself and his mistress. It was always an exciting trip, because you had to take a ferry to get there and because the island is home to a few dozen peacocks.

For as long as I can remember, I have loved peacocks. I am not certain whether this is tied my memories of these visits or simply because they are such beautiful, majestic creatures. Either way, I have an inordinate fondness for these birds. Just look at them! Not only do they sport some of the most beautiful colors found on wildlife, but the infrastructure that allows them to fan their tails is pretty amazing on its own. If you don't believe me (and if you can avert your eyes from the splendor that is the front), try looking at the fan from the back. You'll find an amazing array of feathers with different colors, textures and purposes. Everything has its purpose and it all works together to create a beautiful whole.

For me, these creatures are emblematic of happy childhood memories, relaxing days in the country, picnics, and the beauty to be found in nature and in life. In a world of heavy work schedules and overtime, we sometimes forget about these things. And that is really why I created this blog - as a reminder for myself to find and focus on the things that make life better. After all, to write about them, I have to slow down to allow myself to experience them!

No comments:

Post a Comment