Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Happy Solstice


The grey Oregon sky might have belied it, but Monday was the summer solstice. The summer picnics and bonfires in my head never made it out of the cerebral planning stages, but I did manage to make it out for the flowers that now decorate my living room. There was also spinach, tomatoes and peppers and a lemon tart for after dinner, but no one was hungry enough to eat them that night. We are lucky to live in place with so much abundance that we can skip a meal and not miss it.

And in the grey, the garden is a riot of color and sound. Birds have nested in the houses on the front porch, filling the air with their song. My favorite is the currently vacant chickadee house nestled among twisting clematis vines. The lack of chickadees is more than balanced by little sparrows, goldfinches, scrub jays, and starlings. Later there will be (I hope there will be) hummingbirds. I haven’t seen any yet this year, but hope is eternal.

My home may not be fancy, but it is mine. The garden is an oasis of green grass, rose petals, snapdragons, enthusiastic canines and miniature fruit trees. The birds insist on eating the cherries before we can get to them, but that is okay. The plum tree, which bears the most golden sweet plums you ever tasted, rarely bears fruit. I think perhaps it decided to retire, having already given birth to the perfect plum.

There are corners for reading, listening to the birds, and even a table for eating al fresco. It is my favorite spot, especially now that the grey solstice sky has faded to be replaced by the sun. I think I will grab a book, some crackers, and some left over spinach dip and soak it in.

Easy Spinach Dip

1 brick of cream cheese, softened

2 cups grated sharp cheddar or monterey jack

1/3 cup milk

1 T roasted or fresh jalapeno pepper, chopped

2 chopped tomatoes

1 10-oz box of frozen, chopped spinach, thawed

Stir ingredients together until well mixed. Cocktail shrimp or artichokes make a nice addition. Bake at 375ish in a baking dish for about a half hour until gooey and delicious. If you are dieting, eat in the dark, so the calories cannot find you.

No comments:

Post a Comment